So, you’re thinking about starting a bathroom remodel.
Like all home projects, sometimes getting started is the most difficult part. It can easy to get lost in the process of scrolling through Pinterest images and home design magazines. In gathering all of that exciting inspiration, it can be easy to forget one important detail.
A remodel costs money.
It sounds obvious, but many people jump into remodels without considering their budget. This can lead to nasty surprises further down the road.
But how much does a bathroom remodel cost, anyway? We’ll be breaking down exactly what you and your wallet can expect and how to prepare.
When Is It Time to Remodel My Bathroom? 🚽
Maybe you’re feeling like it’s time to change up your bathroom but are uncertain if it will actually be worth it. The fact of the matter is that a remodeled bathroom can do wonders for your entire home. Here are some signs it might be time to remodel your bathroom:
- Functional Problems: Has your bathtub been dripping for years? Are there pieces of tile that keep detaching from the floor? Do the drawers of your cabinets stick? These are all examples of functional problems that many of us put up with for long stretches of time. And while we might not think about them much, they can reduce the overall enjoyment of our space. A new bathroom will help you function better in your own home.
- You’ve Outgrown Your Space: Perhaps your cozy little bathroom worked just fine when it was just you and your spouse living in the house. But as families continue to grow, small bathroom spaces can be difficult to work around. A bathroom remodel can create a space that works for your family the way it is now instead of the way it was in the past.
- Efficiency Problems: If you have an old toilet and shower head, you may be paying more for water than you need to. Older models often use significantly more water than their newer counterparts, leading to expensive water bills. Installing a new toilet and water-efficient shower head can save you a lot in the long run.
- Outdated Style: While you can certainly live with an outdated bathroom, it comes with its downsides. An updated bathroom will ultimately add value to your home. If you are considering selling your home in the near future, it is well worth it to invest some time in updating your space.
What Is the Difference Between a Remodel and a Renovation? 🤷
Many people use the terms ‘remodel’ and ‘renovate’ interchangeably, but they do have different meanings. A remodel typically refers to making more surface-level cosmetic changes. Things like adding paint and new light fixtures would fall under the remodeling category.
A renovation is a project that usually involves making structural changes to the bathroom. Changing your bathroom layout, major plumbing work, and adding things like a walk-in tub or new shower would all count as renovation projects.
We’ll discuss costs for both types of projects, but know that a structural renovation can cost significantly more than a remodel.
How Much Will My Bathroom Remodel Cost? 💰
It can be difficult to determine exactly how much the average bathroom remodel costs. However, the average bathroom remodel cost in the USA ranges from $6000-$10,000.
Different factors will affect your average cost range, such as the square footage of your bathroom and what your bathroom starts as. Here, we break down some of the average costs for different remodeling projects.
Bathtubs can vary wildly in price. You can find a standard alcove tub for around $1,300. Searching for a deeper, soaking tub? They will range from $1000-4000. A more expensive custom bath remodel can cost up to $10,000. This would also apply to Most people end up spending closer to $4,000 on a new bathtub.
Looking to add or update a shower? A custom shower can cost anywhere between $3,500-15,000. Updates such as adding a new showerhead will only be a few hundred dollars.
Tiling your bathroom is a project that can add up quickly. You can tile your whole bathroom for $1500-3000 if you stick to a simple style, such as subway tile. Artisan tile will spike the price significantly
Counter and Cabinetry
If you are interested in new bathroom cabinets, you can get affordable cabinets from Ikea, Home Depot, or Wayfair. For custom pieces, expect to pay closer to $3000.
Lighting fixtures can really affect the feeling of a room. The cost ranges from $100-$600. High-end fixtures can make a big statement but will cost you a few thousand.
When it comes to your bathroom remodel costs, it’s easy to forget to factor in labor costs. A reputable bathroom remodeling contractor will charge anywhere from $40 to $150 an hour.
What Unexpected Costs Should I Prepare For? 💸
When planning out your budget for your bathroom remodel, there are certain things you should make sure to factor in.
- Electrical and Plumbing Work: As homeowners, we should be used to the fact that starting a project often reveals bigger structural problems that need to be fixed. Despite that, we often forget to build a safety net when we are budgeting for a remodel.
During the remodeling process, you might uncover other issues that require your attention, such as faulty plumbing or electrical issues. Having a portion of your budget allocated towards unexpected problems will save you headaches in the long run.
- Mold and Mildew: Because bathrooms are rooms that produce a lot of moisture, it’s not uncommon to be surprised by mold and mildew during the renovation process. This often requires a specialist to remove it. Mold removal costs $15-30 per square foot to remove, on average.
- Permits: While your general contractor will handle any permits that are needed for your bathroom remodel, the price will likely be included in the total cost. Be sure to budget a few hundred dollars to cover this.
Where Can I Save Money?
When it comes to your bathroom remodel costs, you might be looking for ways to save a little extra money. While we recommend not cutting corners on big expenses, there are lots of ways to keep costs low.
- Reuse Paint – Have some leftover paint from a different home project? Why not use it to give your bathroom a facelift? It will save you money and tie the room into the rest of the house.
- Fix Up Existing Fixtures – Try spray painting or polishing up your existing light fixtures to give your bathroom a modern look for cheap.
- Add a Statement Shower Curtain – A shower curtain adds interest for very little money.
Can I DIY My Bathroom Remodel? 🔧
We generally recommend hiring a professional to handle the bigger aspects of your bathroom renovation. That being said, there are plenty of things you can DIY to help save costs.
Homeowners can typically handle things like painting, hanging elements like mirrors and curtain rods, and even installing things like faucets and shower heads.
If you are feeling particularly ambitious, most homeowners have the skills to install pre-made cabinets. Be sure to leave the plumbing to a professional, though!
How Long Will It Take? ⏳
The time it takes to complete a bathroom renovation depends on a variety of factors. The size of your bathroom will affect the time it takes to complete. A half-bath usually takes 1-3 months to complete. A master bathroom or primary bathroom remodel will likely double the projected time.
Looking for a quick turnaround? Our expert team at Lori K Bath offers 1-day bathroom renovations!
Finding a Bathroom Remodeler 👷
Finding the right contractor can make a big difference to your bathroom remodeling project. They bring their expertise and help keep a project on track.
When it comes to hiring a contractor:
- Choose someone who has expertise in the specific area you need.
- Make sure the person you hire has previous experience in bathroom renovation.
- Double-check that the contractor that you hire is licensed, bonded, and insured. This will protect both of you in the long run.
- Shop around and ask different companies to offer you an estimate. Many contractors will be happy to do this at no extra cost to you.
Our team at Lori K Bath are experts on all things bathroom renovation. We can guide you through the entire renovation process, from early designs to installation.
Contact us on our website today to get a free in home consultation!