Honesty hour! Raise your hand if when you think of a bathroom, you think “glamourous?”
…No? Just us? Well, that’s okay because we’re here to change your mind for good. A bathroom remodel can take your old space from “so-so” to “wow,” with just a few simple adjustments.
But if the idea of breaking out the calculator and making a renovation budget fills you with dread, you aren’t alone. In fact, many homeowners avoid making much-needed updates because they are afraid of the cost. The secret to entering the remodeling process with confidence? Understanding ROI!
Today, we’ll be explaining how you can create a glamorous bathroom that pays for itself. If you want to learn all about bathroom remodel ROI and if it is the push you need to get started, keep reading!
Benefits of a Bathroom Remodel
Bathroom renovations can change your life and help you create a space you love being in. What exactly are the benefits, though? Here are some of our top ones!
- Modernize – If you’re interested in selling your home in the near future, a modernized bathroom can be a huge draw to potential buyers.
- Fixing Problems – Many of us put up with the quirks of our house for so long that we forget to even notice they are there. However, if you’ve let your tub stay leaky for years or never bothered to fix that constantly running toilet, a bathroom remodel is the perfect time to do so. You may even find water damage or mold growth that you didn’t know about.
- Accessibility – As we age, our needs change. So, it’s only natural that our home has to as well! A bathroom remodeling project is a perfect time to increase the accessibility of your bathroom. This could come in the form of a walk-in shower or tub or even adding safety grab bars.
- Storage Solutions – One of the most common complaints of homeowners is that their homes are always lacking in storage. Your bathroom renovation is a great excuse to revamp your space to include the storage space you need.
- Functionality – As the years have gone by, it’s likely that your needs have changed in terms of what your family needs out of the space. Bathroom remodels give you a chance to adapt the space to what will serve you best in the present moment. Maybe that means adding a larger tub or double sinks.
- Resale Value – If moving is in your future, it is important to note that an upscale bathroom remodel can significantly add to the resale value of your home.
Downsides of a Bathroom Remodel
If you’ve been hesitant to invest in a bathroom renovation, then we may not have to remind you of the downsides. But if you are looking for things to look out for, we’ve got the info you need.
- Project Scope – Any homeowner will tell you that one of the inevitable parts of starting a small home project is that you will find something else to do in the course of finishing it. Be prepared for your small remodel to become bigger as you find other projects that need fixing.
- Inconvenient – The inconvenience of a remodel is what keeps many homeowners from starting in the first place. A bathroom is one of the most used rooms of your home, so if it is out of commission for a week or so, you’ll need to make sure you have plans in place to work around it.
What’s the Cost of a Bathroom Remodel?
The cost of a bathroom remodel will vary widely, depending on the scale of your renovation, the size of your bathroom, and the materials you choose. However, the national average for bathroom remodels typically comes out between $15,000-$70,000.
Sounds like a wide range? You are right. The bright side, though, is that it gives you the idea that you can create a new bathroom on almost any budget.
What Is the ROI of a Bathroom Remodel?
Alright, let’s get down to it. What exactly is ROI, and why is it important to your remodeling process?
ROI stands for “return on investment” and refers to the amount of money a homeowner can expect to recoup on their home improvement projects when it comes time to sell the house. Researching ROI rates in your area can help you have a better sense of whether or not new construction on your home makes sense for you and your wallet.
In general, bathroom remodels yield around 70% ROI.
5 Highest ROI Bathroom Remodeling Projects
If you’re looking to get the most bang for your buck, you’ll want to invest in bathroom improvement projects with the highest ROI. Here are the top 5 higher ROI renovations you can do to your bathroom.
One of the most eye-catching parts of any modern bathroom is the addition of a stand-out backsplash. Tile backsplashes can be as simple and classic as white subway tile or as original as a full mosaic. We particularly love the convenience of a vinyl backsplash that makes cleaning a breeze!
New flooring has good ROI in any part of your home, and the bathroom is no exception. You’ll want to take care to choose a flooring option that is water resistant, as the bathroom is a high moisture area. Want to add that element of glamour we were talking about? Heated floors are a great way to get future buyers interested in your home.
3) New Appliances
Cosmetic details are all well and good but not hugely useful unless your toilet, sinks, and shower is all in working order. Investing in new versions of all of these appliances and fixtures can help give your bathroom character, as well as be more efficient than their older counterparts.
4) New Cabinetry
New cabinetry will do the dual task of providing an old bathroom with a new style, as well as increasing storage space. Don’t forget about the countertops. Stone countertops are always a hit!
Looking for a simple project to start with? Consider switching up your lighting fixtures! Not only will this help you add charm to your bathroom, but it can help create a soothing ambiance. Additionally, most light fixtures are relatively inexpensive while making a huge impact!
DIY vs. Go With a Pro?
When it comes to saving money on a standard bathroom remodel, you may be tempted to go the DIY route. While it’s true that DIYing a project or two can save you some money in the short term, in the long run, you may save money by hiring a professional.
Professional help allows you to feel secure knowing that the project is being done right the first time. Particularly in the bathroom, where plumbing and electrical mix, it can be useful to have a pro on hand to make sure everything is installed safely.
Consult With a Professional Remodeling Company!
Ready to get started but not sure what to do first? Lori K Bath is ready to help! Our team of bathroom specialists offers custom bathroom remodels, as well as one-day bath installation, that gives you maximum impact with minimum inconvenience. Contact us today to set up your consultation with our experts!