Do us a favor, and picture this:
You come home after a long day of work, tired and stressed. You eat dinner and then move to your bathroom, lighting your favorite candles. You run a hot bath filled with bubbles and then sink into the water with your favorite music playing.
Sounds nice, right? Well, it depends. If you have an updated bathroom, sure. However, if your bathroom is old-fashioned, broken, or just plain not to your taste, you may find yourself looking for excuses to avoid it at all costs.
Look, we get it. Renovations are:
- Expensive 💸
- Time consuming ⏰
- Stressful 😩
If you’ve been putting off remodeling your out-of-date bathroom, you’re in good company. However, we are here to convince you that it may be worth considering. We’ve got the answers, whether you’re wondering:
- How long does a bathroom remodel take?
- How much will it cost?
- How do I get started?
Reasons You Should Consider a Bathroom Remodel
So, how do you know it is time for a bathroom renovation anyway? Here are some of the key reasons you may want to consider updating your bathroom.
- You’re Planning on Moving – If moving boxes are in your future, now may be the perfect time to consider a bathroom renovation. A bathroom remodel project can make your home more appealing to future buyers and increase your home’s resale value. Additionally, homeowners, on average, recoup about 70% of their construction costs when selling their homes.
- You’ve Outgrown It – A small bathroom is all well and good when there are just one or two people living in your home. However, as the years go by, we often find that our families change and grow, which means we need our houses too, as well! If you’ve outgrown your existing bathroom, a new bathroom may be in order.
- Plumbing Problems – If you’ve let your tub faucet continue to leak for months on end, you certainly aren’t alone. However, it could be an indication that your need some serious plumbing work in your bathroom. We recommend having your plumbing and electrical work done during the construction process in order to make sure your bathroom is functioning properly.
- You’re Looking for a Change – Now and then, we all just need to switch things up! If you want to refresh your home, renovating your old bathroom might be just what you are looking for!
How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
The primary concern for most homeowners when it comes to starting a huge project like a renovation is cost. Which is fair, of course. Bathroom remodels can be expensive.
That being said, the final cost will vary widely, depending on the size of your bathroom and the materials you choose. Wondering how much your project will cost? Here are some basic breakdowns to refer to.
If you are just doing a minor renovation to your bathroom, there are lots of ways to do it on a budget. Minor renovations include updating your light fixtures and faucets or adding a fresh coat of paint.
Minor renovations can cost anywhere between $100-$1,500 for an average size bathroom.
Average renovations for a bathroom remodeling project may include regrouting tile, adding a new toilet or bathtub, and adding new flooring or a backsplash. The price for this size project increases drastically from the previous one, coming in at closer to $6,000-$13,000
A major renovation would entail gutting your existing bathroom and potentially redoing the whole layout. This is a big undertaking that comes with an appropriately larger price tag. Expect that projects on this scale will come in between $15,000-$20,000.
How Long Does a Bathroom Remodel Take?
Once you’ve made your budget for the project, you’re likely wondering how long it will take until you’ll see the project completed.
Similarly to the cost estimates, the time frame changes depending on the size and scope of the renovation. A general contractor will typically come to your home during the pre-construction phase, assess the room, and help you decide on a layout and game plan. After that, you should be able to get a decent time estimate of the project schedule.
Small Bathroom Renovation
For a smaller bathroom renovation, you may be in luck! You could have your new bathroom up and running in just a few days. This is a great course of action if you are operating under a tight timeline.
Medium Bathroom Renovation
For an average or mid-size renovation project, you can expect it to take a few weeks. However, keep in mind that this is all dependent on the construction schedule of the contractor that you hire to complete your project.
Large Bathroom Renovation
For a larger bathroom renovation, you could be looking at 3-6 months of work. These types of projects can take longer, as you have to obtain permits and order many different elements of your bathroom.
When it comes to renovating your bathroom, is there anything you should prioritize? Here are some of our top suggestions for an effective renovation.
- Repair Broken Areas – Always, your priority should be to fix any areas of your bathroom that are broken. This could include broken tiles, leaking faucets, running toilets, or faulty outlets.
- Aesthetics – Our next area to prioritize would be the overall look of your bathroom. This may be as simple as adding a coat of paint, or it could require you to put in a whole new backsplash.
- Storage – In order to appeal to buyers, it is a good idea to add in clear storage solutions.
3 Ways to Find a Bathroom Contractor
Not sure how to go about finding a high-quality contractor for your bathroom? Here are our top three tips for finding a contractor you love.
1) Read Reviews
Reading reviews about the company before hiring them is key. Google reviews is a more reliable place to look, rather than the review section on their own website. However, you can also look to online neighborhood groups, like Nextdoor, to hear about an individual’s experience working with the company.
2) Ask Friends and Family
Asking friends, family members, and neighbors in person is one of the best ways to find a contractor for your home. You can count on them to be honest with you and offer firsthand info that you will find useful.
3) Look for Specialists
When it comes to your home, you’ll want to look for someone who specializes in the project you have in mind. For example, if you are renovating your bathroom, you’ll want to make sure your contractor has experience in that area.
Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers
Ready to get started? Lori K Bath has you covered! Our team of bathroom renovation specialists offers custom bathroom design services with a faster turnaround time than any of our competitors. Contact us today to set up your bathroom consultation.